Thursday, July 7, 2011

Homemade Mayo

Ingredients:
4 egg yolks
1 tsp mustard
1/2 tsp minced garlic*
juice from 1/2 lemon
salt (about 1/8 tsp)
oil (I use either canola, or olive or hazelnut oil. Canola is the most neutral flavour-wise) - about 1 1/2 - 1 3/4 cups 

*You can use more or less garlic, or not use it at all. Sometimes I also add paprika - sweet or smoked, or fresh herbs, when I want to play with flavour and/or colour.


Directions:
Blend together all ingredients except oil for about a minute (I use a blender for it, but you can use a food processor or even, I'd imagine, an immersion blender). With the blender running, slowly drizzle in the oil (slowly is the key here, don't "dump" it all in. I usually use my bottle with the drizzler, as I don't need to measure the oil at this point - after you make it the first time, you'll see what I mean). 

Watch the mixture in the blender as you drizzle the oil in. Once you get the mayo (i.e., the mixture has formed a thick emulsion and looks like mayo), you'll see it. At this point, stop the blender and don't add any more oil (which is why, like I said, you don't really need a measuring cup for oil, rather a bottle with the drizzler:-)). Don't overprocess or it will "curdle" on you. The whole thing takes no more than a minute or two, I'd say.